Monday, August 27, 2018

A Court of Frost and Starlight - Review

A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1)

By: Sarah J. Maas

Published: May 1, 2018 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

272 pages

Genre: Young Adult, New Adult, Fatnasy, Romance

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
Months after the explosive events in A Court of Wings and Ruin, Feyre, Rhys, and their companions are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve. Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court.
MY REVIEW:
I'm a HUGE fan of this series I love the characters. So when book #3.1 was scheduled to come out I was ready to purchase it, and that I did. Now, let me preface this by saying I don't have a whole lot of time to read anymore. With my job and my two very busy teens, what little downtime I have here lately I just haven't been in a reading mood. And unfortunately this has lasted the entire year of 2018 so far.

Of course I enjoyed the story in the sense of being in the world of Rhys and Feyre and all of the other characters I've grown to adore. This additiont to the story takes place about a year since the events in book one. However, in the overall storyline and plot of this series I didn't feel like this book really goes anywhere. It's sort of like the TV show that's trucking along in the storyline and all of a sudden there's this filler episode. Buffy did it once with an interesting musical episode and Supernaturals did a few times. I'm sure there's WAY more shows that have, but those are the two that stand out as memorable irritating episodes. I suppose some fans enjoy that sort of thing? Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

So while I jumped at the chance to buy this book, both to support Maas and her books, but also because I couldn't see myself NOT reading it.  Though I knew it was a novella, it's a much longer one than most. 272 pages is the length of a lot of books that I read. Given my short reading time these days, it takes me sometimes a month to even read that short of a book. I don't regret buying it, however, I'm not so sure I would highly encourage ACOTAR fans to rush out to read it.

Top Favorite Quotes: Likely spoilery in nature if you haven't yet read the first 3 books
"You were born on the longest night of the year." ... "You were meant to be at my side from the very beginning."

"I've always been able to talk to you. I think my heart knew you were mine long before I ever realized it."

"I love you," he breathed. "More than life, more than my territory, more than my crown."

"To the stars who listen, Feyre." ... "To the dreams that are answered, Rhys."

Language: 2 (medium)
Mature Content: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...