Monday, November 18, 2019

Eulogy - Review

Eulogy (Eagle Elite #9) 

By: Rachel Van Dyken

Published: February 20, 2018 by Van Dyken Enterprises INC

448 pages

Genre: New Adult, Romance

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
The next book in the internationally bestselling mafia series…

All is lost.
All.
I don't recognize myself in the mirror anymore.
My thoughts are filled with hatred and dripping with rage.
I've lost my soul.
She took it to the depths of Hell with her and haunts me with images of what could have been.
Sixty lives are mine to take.
Sixty lives stand in the way of my vengeance.
Sixty lives plus one more.
Mine.
When the last drop of blood falls — mine will be spilled.
Only one person stands in the way.
She doesn't realize I'll kill her too.
I don't own a heart.
And even if I did — I wouldn't fall prey to its lies again.
I am Chase Abandonato.
Heir to a legacy of betrayal.
And I will kill them all.
Even if it means pointing the gun at myself.
A life for a life.
A soul for a soul.
Now I lay me down to sleep… I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Blood in. No out.
MY REVIEW:
This series never gets old for me. I have enjoyed every book almost as much as the ones before them. Sometimes a series that goes on this long can start to feel repetitive or boring. The mafia world that Van Dyken has built continues to keep me intrigued and wanting to read more and dive back into the world of Eagle Elite. I'm not usually surprised or shocked by the plots, and as such the main plot of this book I had figured out from the beginning. That didn't annoy me though. I still ate it up just like I have the earlier books in the series.

The main character in this story, Chase Abandonato is one of the original 5 of the Eagle Elite. He is the cousin to Nixon, boss of the Abandonato Family. He is what is considered a made-man and is basically Nixon's right hand man and best friend. He was featured as the main character in earlier books two and three, so it's very important, in my opinion, to read the books in order so as to understand his background and point of view of all of these characters, especially book 8 as its cliffhanger ending leaves Chase with a significant decision to make. I did not, and do not intend, to read the novellas that have come out over the years in this series. I do, however, highly recommend reading the previous eight books in the series, in order as follows:

Elite - Nixon's story
Elect - Chase's story
Entice - continuation of Chase and Nixon's stories
Elicit - Tex's story
Ember - Phoenix's story
Elude - Sergio's story
Empire - Sergio's story, part 2
Enrage - Dante's story, plus a continuation of Chase's story

Definitely a worthy entertaining read filled with angst, romance, and lots of death and shooting (this is the mafia world after all).

Top 5 Favorite Quotes:
"I have to believe that we've been brought to this point, not to just collapse from within, but to grow, to become greater than before."

But he believed the lie people often did when they were in pain. That it meant there was something inherently broken within them, when the opposite was true. Heartbreak was just proof it was working.

"It's nice to be wanted for being you, isn't it?"

"The only person with enough power to destroy you - is you."

"What greater love than taking the sins of those you care for and putting them on your own shoulders?"

Language: 2 (medium)
Mature Content: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...