Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top 10 - Favorite Books Made Into a Movie or TV Show


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week's topic is "Top Ten Tuesday Freebie".

Oooh, a freebie week!  With all of the movie excitement buzzing around of books being made into movies I decided to go with my 

Top Ten Favorite Books made into a Movie or TV show.  

Specifically I'm sticking to books I've read that have been made into movies or TV shows.
Are the books always better than the movie or TV show?  Most of the time, I'd give a hearty YES.  However, I still have loved many of the film adaptations of some of my well loved books and in a few rare instances, I loved the movie or show better than the book.

In no particular order of favoritism:

1. Harry Potter - all 8 films

The movie adaptations of these books were, IMO, phenomenal!  They were exactly what I had envisioned while reading them.  I was sad to see them come to an end.






2. Twilight (all of them)

Yes they are filled with so much cheese, especially the first one, you could trap a field of mice. However, for the die hard Twilight fans all we cared about was seeing Edward on the big screen.  Even though movie 5 hasn't come out yet, I have no doubt I will love it as much as I loved the first 4.

3. Vampire Diaries 

I read many of the books a few years ago, (and at the time it was all of the books that were out) though not all.  I was a fan of the first 4 or so and then I got real irritated with them.  Then came the CW show and I instantly was a huge fan! In fact, I like the show better than the books (this is rare).  The fact that the writers of the show made Elena a blonde was a minor blip in the beginning, but now, I couldn't picture her any different.


4. Pride and Prejudice 

Okay, I admit....I didn't finish the book.  It was hard for me to follow the language.  And honestly, the 5 hour rendition of the movie pretty much covers every single detail of the book (at least what I read of it anyway).  So I suppose it's safe to say that I loved these movies more than the book.


5. Something Borrowed

This book was super fun to read.  The movie was laugh out loud funny.  Kate Hudson really brought the essence of Darcy to life - she was a perfect fit for casting!  I loved the book and equally loved the movie.






6. The Hunger Games

Phenomenal books and the movie adaptations were incredible.  The casting for certain characters was right on - specifically Effie Trinket, Cinna, and Haymitch.






7. The Help

This book changed my look on some things from history here in the south.  I cried and laughed and loved every page.  The movie was equally as great.  Exceptional book and exceptional movie!!










8. The Chronicles of Narnia

All of these books are incredible.  The movies are wonderful adaptations of them and were exactly like what I had imagined and even more.  I love watching a movie that brings to life a world and characters that I love.




9. Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief

I read this book with my son, and then we took our kids to see the movie.  It was off in some places from the book (which film adaptation isn't at some degree?), but it was still very enjoyable and had a lot of action.  It's still a family favorite.  And from what I hear, book 2, Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters is set to hit theaters in March of 2013.  I know one little boy who is too excited for this film!!







For my final choices (and yes I'm going over 10 total picks) I'm listing book made into movies that are set to release this coming year or have been purchased/optioned by a production company. I'm TOOOO excited to see all of these on the big screen.

10. Divergent

Summit Entertainment snatched up the rights to this one.  IMDB has a tentative release date of 2014.  EEEK!

11. The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Seven Star Pictures has the rights for this book and they have even announced a director but little more is known about it.

12. Fallen

Disney along with Mayhem Pictures scored the rights for this book franchise.  Still no director so who knows how long it'll take for this to come to the big screen.

13. The Host

Surely you aren't living in a small enough hole to not have heard the hype over the release of this one.  Tentative release date of March 2013.

14. Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew

According to an article in the Christian Post Walden Media confirmed that The Magician's Nephew will be the next installment movie in the Chronicles of Narnia franchise.  However, there is still much to be worked out before this book becomes a movie.  For more info check out Next Movie.

15. Marked: House of Night series

I loved books 1-4/5 but then began to lose interest as I felt the books were being drug out way too much.  However, despite my recent very low rating on book 9: Destined , I still would very much like to see these books made into a movie.  Davis-Films got the film rights in late 2011.

16. The Maze Runner

20th Century Fox currently has the rights for this film.  On Dashner's website he says "believe me, no one on this planet wants this to happen more than I do. And I really think it’s going to happen. I’m not really allowed to say much… [but] things are moving slowly but surely."

17. The Mortal Instruments

Probably at this point this is the one book to movie I am most looking forward to.  IMDB has the release date listed as August 2013. I love the cast choices for Luke and Valentine!  (and even Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace)  I will be at the midnight release for sure.  For more on this movie, go here.


Honestly I could probably keep going but I'll stop at 17.  I really enjoyed this weeks freebie and I hope you enjoyed reading my Top 10 Favorite Books Made Into a Movie or TV Show.  Leave me a comment and a link with what you chose for your freebie pick this week!

12 comments:

  1. I've never chosen this topic, but if I did I would definitely add Chocolat - absolutely love that movie!

    And wow, I had no idea so many of the upcoming ones were getting made into movies -- now I'm super excited to see Fallen and Forest of Hands & Teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Cholocat or seen the movie for that matter.

      There are even more books that have been picked up by production companies. It was hard to limit myself - so I just had to stop.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Agreed on all of them, except Twilight (loved the books, didn't like the movies) and Percy Jackson (I thought the books were so much better). I also adore the Pretty Little Liars TV show adaption!
    Fun topic! :)

    Judith @ Paper Riot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cheese and all it's painfully awkward moments! But the Twilight books are infinity times better! Agreed that Percy Jackson book was better, but still an enjoyable movie to watch.

      I too love Pretty Little Liars, but given the fact that I haven't read the books, they couldn't make my list.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Great List! I love almost all the ones you mentioned! I haven't read/seen Something Borrowed yet. I love TVD more as a show than the books too! I also can't wait for almost all the movies you mentioned that are coming soon too!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, new follower now as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list topic & great choices. I definitely agree with Twilight, HP, Hunger Games, Narnia & Percy Jackson. Can't wait to see Divergent, The Host, The Magician's Nephew and Mortal Instruments :D Thanks for sharing, here's my TTT this week

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I agree with many of them and can't wait for Divergent! I also love Pretty Little Liars! I reckon the TV show is better than the books but the books certainly hooked me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, long list :)

    I love The Vampire Diaries, the tv series! I haven't heard many good things about the books, so I think I'll stick with the tv version and Ian(Damon:)

    I love the Twilight series, but can't stand the movies..I hope Host will be better. *fingers crossed*

    And you should give Pride and Prejudice another chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good list. I love the Harry Potter and Th Hunger games as well. I also love the Vampire Diaries tv show but I haven't read the books because I don't think I'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't believe you didn't mention Vampire Academy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how could I forget Game of Thrones?! Oh well...clearly there are many that should've been included too.

      Delete
  9. Although I love both the 1995 and 2005 versions of P&P, I do love the book more. But have you seen The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on youtube? I can't imagine you wouldn't like it. It is a modernday adaptation of P&P told in vlog format. Hank Green is one of the creators.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...