Thursday, November 6, 2014

*ARC* Pull - Review

Pull (Push #2)

By: Claire Wallis

Published: November 6, 2014

240 pages

Source: ARC given by author for honest review (Thanks!!)

(Goodreads /Amazon)

Summary:
PULL is the continuation of Claire Wallis' sharp and shocking debut novel, PUSH. It is the second book in the series and is not intended to be a standalone.

"It is impossible for someone like me—someone with a sin-list capable of wrapping itself around the world—to find redemption. To be repaired."

David Calgaro has secrets, and the only woman he's ever loved is about to pay the ultimate price to protect them. He's spent a lifetime searching for purpose and control. And the only place he's managed to find them is in a single, perfect moment; a moment in which he has absolute control over someone else's life.

David is unredeemable, unfixable, unsalvageable. But Emma Searfoss has forced a tiny sliver of hope to penetrate his soul. Hope that, even though redemption is impossible, maybe life isn't. Maybe he isn't who he thought he was. Maybe he's meant to be more.

This is a new adult novel with mature content for readers 17 and up.
MY REVIEW:
This series is CRAZY! Book one, Push, left me questioning my sanity. How could I love reading about a man such as David. He's a master manipulator, every decision he makes is completely controlled and planned. His thinking is twisted. In real life, any reasonable woman would be running for the hills once she found out about his "issues". But Claire Wallis writes his character in such a way that you can't help but be drawn into him. You feel compassion for his situation, and since he and Emma both have seriously messed up childhoods, they become one another's salvation.

One could say that Pull is all about David searching for redemption. I can't give away more than that. This is a series that you just have to experience for yourself. At this point, there's only two books and I don't know if more are planned. I would say this is a dark romance - so get ready.

Though I don't particularly like the ending of this story, I understand why perhaps it happened the way that it did. But DANG! After that roller coaster of a  journey, man.... it sucks. (This is me pouting)

This story is told between alternating POV's of Emma, David and Matt. I like Matt...but I have to be honest. His POV's seemed....unnecessary to me - until the very end. The references to his fantasy's of Jennifer Lawrence and the level of detail to his obsession with comic books just seemed weird and distracting from the heaviness that is the story of Emma and David.

As the summary mentions, this New Adult novel is intended for mature readers due to graphic sexual content and strong language.

Favorite Quotes:
I understand now how pleasure can make a human being do things they never thought they would. How it can take over your brain and make you forget about everything that really matters. How it can shut your eyes and your ears to the rest of the world and make you oblivious to everything but yourself.

"I know that you aren't the same person you were the day we met, and it's good to know that someone else sees it, too. But the thing that makes me the happiest, is hearing you see it in yourself."

...I'm not just some carpenter who needs to do this thing, but I'm also a person with hard-bitten edges and a smashed-up soul. Just like everyone else, I'm looking for forgiveness and purpose far beyond the things I do. I'm looking for the real me.

Final Rating - 4 stars

Check out my review of book one, Push HERE to read where it all begins. I rated it 4.5 stars!

This review is part of the ARC Thursday feature on Words Fueled by Love.

2 comments:

  1. really this is not my type of book but great review :D

    check my blog if you like:
    http://cachereads.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we're right along the same lines on this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...