Monday, November 10, 2014

State of Rebellion - Review

State of Rebellion (Collapse Series #3) 

By: Summer Lane

Published: December 20, 2013 by Createspace

334 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads/Amazon $3.99)

Summary:
Everything has changed. After a devastating ambush that left the militia group Freedom Fighters struggling to survive, Cassidy Hart has been lucky to escape with her life. Along with her Commander and former Navy SEAL Chris Young, she's made a shocking discovery concerning the whereabouts of her father. 

The militias have moved further into the mountains. And the secret that is kept there will come with a price. But when the National Guard arrives, Cassidy is faced with a choice that will force her to decide between her friends and her family. Omega is getting stronger. The fight for freedom looms on the horizon. 
It's all or nothing. And Cassidy has no intention of giving up.
MY REVIEW:
It's not often I find a complete series that I have to binge read it all because it's THAT good and I can't read anything else until I get this story and it's characters out of my head. That's what the Collapse series has been for me. It's so well written that the pages just flow by and the action is nonstop so you are quickly turning each page eagerly waiting to see how the characters survive through each situation thrown at them.

I ran across this series while posting a DNF review for a zombie apocalypse book in a series that I thought I would enjoy. The Collapse series isn't about zombies but it is about an apocalypse. In book one, State of Emergency, the United States is hit with an EMP (Electric Magnetic Pulse) which takes out anything that runs on computer based technology: all vehicles, all phones, airplanes, all technology. Los Angeles is the city where our main girl, Cassidy, is living when the EMP hits. She sets out in an old Mustang her Dad had restored since it wasn't affected by the EMP. Being an older vehicle it doesn't have an electronic chip in its engine. Along the way to the rendezvous point she and her Dad had set in the event of a catastrophe, she meets up with a wounded former Navy SEAL named Chris. Book three begins 7 months after the EMP hit and picks up right where the big events at the end of book two, State of Chaos, left our characters.

Chris and Cassidy have been through a LOT together. They have grown closer because of what they've been through and have grown to have great affection for one another. Cassidy has verbalized her feelings for Chris, and though Chris hasn't said those three words back to her, his actions show time and again how much he cares for her and the lengths he is willing to go to protect her.

In this part of their story, they fear that Omega is sending in backup troops to take out the West Coast. The East Coast was hit with the first wave of an invading army - after the major cities were nuked and after the EMP hit. Cassidy and Chris have started their own militia and are calling themselves Freedom Fighters and are committed to doing whatever they can to stop Omega from succeeding in their mission.

When I say nonstop action - this whole story really is. Things always seem to go from bad to worse...and as we grow closer to our main characters, the heart strings get pulled as you worry over them and their dangerous missions.

A new side character that really shines in this story is Manny. Loved him!

Fans of movies and shows like Red Dawn and Revolution will enjoy this series!

Favorite Quotes:
Where I'm covered in scars and freckles, she's perfect. Where my hair looks like the TV commercial for a chia pet, hers looks like a salon advertisement for Vidal Sassoon. Figures I'd get stuck with her.

I need Chris more than I need anyone else. Even if the entire war against Omega is an utter failure and we all end up enslaved, if I have Chris, I can survive.

"I'll always need you," I repeat as we pull into the base. He pauses and looks at me, green eyes brimming with emotion. "And I will always need you," he says.

"Not everything is so black and white, my girl. Success and failure isn't just win or lose in this situation. It's progress. It's pushing back. It's standing up for our homeland. If you start thinking about everything that might happen, you'll drive yourself out of your head."

They forced my hand. They expected us to surrender silently. They underestimated our will. And now they are paying the price.

Final Rating - 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...