Monday, August 10, 2015

Ember (Eagle Elite #5) - Review

Ember (Eagle Elite #5)

By: Rachel Van Dyken

Published: February 15, 2015

341 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
This is a dark mafia romance. It can be read as a stand alone but is recommended to read within the Eagle Elite Series. No Cliffhanger 

Everybody Loves A Bit of Darkness..Until It Consumes Them... 
I am a Killer. A Rapist. A Monster. 
I know only pain and survival. 
That is until the Cappo's sister walked into my life. 
And changed everything. 
She's a light who makes my darkness darker, her smile makes my heart turn to ice, and I can't escape the fear her seductive looks instill--knowing it's only a matter of time before I fail--again, and take her for myself. 
This is the story of my redemption. 
But it's not pretty...I died, and now I'm alive, but not living, breathing but not surviving. I am Phoenix De Lange, son to a murdered mob boss, estranged brother, horrible friend, monster in the making, newest leader to one of the most powerful families in the Cosa Nostra. 
And I will have my vengeance. 
Or die trying. 
I am Phoenix De Lange. 
Death is all I know. 
Until she offers me a piece of life--I can't resist taking 
MY REVIEW:
These three words from the summary: Dark. Mafia. Romance. YEP! This series continues to be a favorite of mine. I love it! Things like this would never work in real life, but in fiction, it's so stinkin' edible!

This book focuses on the story of Phoenix. This is a character we grew to hate in earlier books. He is a murderer (really all of the mafia bosses are) and a rapist. His father used him beginning at a very early age and turned him into a monster, doing the work and bidding he set out for him which included brutalizing girls. Now at a young 23(ish) years old, having been dead and brought back to life, given a second opportunity at life, and a boss of the Nicalosi family, he punishes himself as retribution and repentance, never allowing himself a moment of pleasure of any kind, not even food with strong flavors. He doesn't believe he is worthy to have anything good in life and now he only seeks to make right all the many wrongs he has committed.

As one of the 5 mafia bosses, he is tasked with being the personal body guard to the Cappo's 19 year old sister, Bianca (affectionately called Bee). The problem with this, is that he cares for her and wants more for her than anything he could give her, which he believes to be all tarnished and damaged. She has been in love with him for a long time, so she pushes and pushes for what she wants, until finally death will come for him a second time, most likely from her brother, the Cappo, Tex.

I absolutely love when characters in a story that have been hated for heinous things, come back and redeem themselves by sacrifice and true remorse.

These are quick reads. They never take me more than a day or two to read and are all very enjoyable stories.

Favorite Quotes:
Was she seriously asking a murderer, a mob boss, a thief, a rapist, an emotional terrorist in his own right how to make a freaking friend?

"Because that girl looks at your like you just promised to buy her the moon - and you look at her as if you did more than promise it."

You should never be afraid of something that gives you life, purpose, meaning.

"You love a person for who they are, embracing what they've been and hoping for what they'll become."

Language Rating: 2 (medium)
Mature Content Rating: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 4 stars

My reviews from the earlier books in this series, in order:
Elite (Eagle Elite #1) - 5 stars
Elect (Eagle Elite #2) - 4.5 stars
Entice (Eagle Elite #3) - 4 stars
Elicit (Eagle Elite #4) - 4.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...