Monday, October 12, 2015

From Books to Movies, Take 8

It's been a minute since I've done an edition of this feature on my blog. There have been plenty of book-to-movie opportunities to talk about so it really comes to down to inspiration and taking the time to type up a post. 

For this edition of From Books to Movies, I'm going to share a brief movie review of The Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials and share some details on a few other favorites coming soon.


Release Date: September 18, 2015
Director: Wes Ball
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Adapted From: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
Movie Website: mazerunnermovies.com

MY REVIEW:
First things first. We did not get to stay for the ending. Long story, but the short is that a creepy (we think drunk) man was making my 12 year old super nervous and she all but begged to leave. I couldn't continue to tell her no after seeing the fear in her eyes. Her needs came before my movie watching needs in that moment.

I took my 2 kids (ages 13.5, and less-than-a-month-away-from-being 12) and my nephew (less-than-a-month-away-from-being 13) to see this movie. We all loved the first one (see my movie review HERE) and my nephew and I are fans of the book series.

The movie was ACTION PACKED from start until we had to leave, which was only 10-15 minutes left in the film. Having heard the movie nearly earned an R rating for its scary images, we were forewarned about the scare factor to come. And it did not disappoint! The cranks that readers will well know from the book, are incredibly freaky humans-turned-zombie-esque from an illness called the flare. The moments where Thomas and the gang are running for their lives is pulse pounding! Well done on the horror aspect! 

This movie is scifi/dystopian. If you don't like those themes, than you won't enjoy certain aspects of it. But we were fans! The special effects were well done and believable. Their recreating of a city that has been scorched and left to sand and ruin was portrayed well on screen. Dylan O'Brien continues to be a favorite young actor of mine. He is comical, he is serious and his emotions on screen always draw me in.

Is the movie 100% like the book? Nope. Are they ever though? I'm used to this - I expect it! Sometimes it disappoints me. My nephew even kept leaning over (he had just finished book 2) saying to me "That wasn't in the book" or "That's not how it happened in the book" or even "That doesn't happen in book 2". So yeah, certain things are different. Overall though, I was able to sit there and enjoy it for the movie adaptation it was. And I wasn't disappointed. 

My only frustration, and this was true for the first movie too, was the amount of curse words used. The book has little to none since the boys in the glade come up with their own language and swear words after having no memory of their previous lives. I really wish they would've toned that done. Other than that, we all really liked it and hated to miss the ending! This will be one we rent as soon as it's available and then purchase for our collection when the Blu-Ray releases.

My Final Rating: 4 stars!

UPCOMING MOVIE RELEASES I'M EXCITED ABOUT

The 5th Wave

Release Date: January 15, 2016
Director: J. Blakeson
MPAA Rating: not listed yet
Adapted From: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Movie Website: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter


The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Admittedly there's not much information out there to share yet. So little that I will do another post later when movie posters and links and such are planned. But for now, some teaser info.

Book Cover:
Book Summary: In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?
Adapted From: Carrie Ryan
Director: Kate Maberly
Casting: Maisie Williams as Mary
The news of Maisie Williams to play Mary has been widely spread over social media and has been reported by several avenues, including the author herself. Check out these articles:

Still a far off release date anticipated, late 2016 or 2017. 
More waiting on this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...