Thursday, November 12, 2015

*ARC* Paint My Body Red - Review

Paint My Body Red

By: Heidi R. Kling

Published: November 2, 2015 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Teen)

350 pages

Source: Netgalley ARC from publisher

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
The world isn't just black or white. Sometimes it's red...

They think I'm next. That I'll be the seventh kid to step in front of a train and end my life. With the rash of suicides at my school, Mom's shipped me off to my dad's Wyoming ranch for “my own safety.” They think I’m just another depressed teenager whose blood will end up on the tracks. They don't know my secrets...or what I’ve done. 

I wasn't expecting Dad to be so sick, for the ranch I loved to be falling to bits, or for Jake—the cute boy I knew years ago—to have grown into a full-fledged, hot-as-hell cowboy. Suddenly, I don't want to run anymore, but the secrets from home have found me...even here. And this time, it's up to me to face them—and myself—if I want to live...
MY REVIEW:
Well, this was an unexpected emotional story! I had so many feels while reading it - in less than 3 days. Most of those feels were heart tugging, teary-eye-filled emotions. There was also heart warming moments, and smiles too. I absolutely loved the setting of this story in Wyoming on a horse ranch. I loved that the main character is unplugged - no electronics, no social media, no cell phones, just God's country and creations. It's a beautiful book setting.

This story follows 18 year old Paige. Living in San Francisco, in a wealthy community, with kids who are all aspiring to great things following in the footsteps of their Fortune 500 families. But the emotional scars that most don't see is the pressure put on these kids to lead perfect lives, in their perfect families. The pressure leads many to take their own life. In one high school, the number of those is very high and Paige is sent to live with her Dad on his ranch in Wyoming the summer after she graduates. Her Mom is afraid for her, afraid that her depression over the deaths that have surrounded her will lead her to make the same tragic decision as some of her classmates.

While on this ranch Paige finds healing for her own soul in ways she wasn't expecting. Horses, cowboys, and simple living. The story goes back and forth from events "then" and events "now", as Paige writes in a journal to finally get off of her chest everything that led to where she is in the present. This is one of the avenues that bring about healing to her.

This book deals with some tough subjects - depression and suicide among the top two. It's very deep. It's very touching. And yet, I found it very therapeutic. I'm just speechless mostly. This was a new-to-me-author, but I loved the writing so much, I would definitely read from her again.

The only reason I didn't rate this 5 stars is because there was one moment about 75% in the book where there was an issue in incorrect details. I HATED to come across it because I knew it bugged me too much, which would affect my overall rating. Paige and Jake are out celebrating and she is described as wearing "a swirly white skirt and lace-up sandals". Further in the same scene a few pages later, Paige mentions her jeans and boots...but she's not wearing that. I have to be vague on purpose because there's too much going on with this scene that would ruin some juicy tidbits.

Contemporary Romance fans NEED to read this!

Favorite Quotes:
"You don't have to be chasing something in order to be happy."

"Sometimes you got to do stuff that scares you, Paige. That's how you know you're alive."

But he should know by now that life isn't black and white - it's red. And in that color is where we spend the whole of what matters, the vibrancy of life, the bloody mess of death, and the pulsing heart of love.

We cannot control the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Language Rating: 2 (medium)
Mature Content Rating: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 4.5 stars!

1 comments:

  1. This author was also new to me and I thought she handled all the topics really well :) I'm glad you enjoyed Paint My Body Red – great review!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...