Monday, July 18, 2016

The Last Star - Review

24609851
The Last Star (The 5th Wave #3)

By: Rick Yancey

Published: May 24, 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

339 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
The heart-stopping finale to the New York Times bestselling 5th Wave series, just in time for the major motion picture release.

We’re here, then we’re gone, and that was true before they came. That’s always been true. The Others didn’t invent death; they just perfected it. Gave death a face to put back in our face, because they knew that was the only way to crush us. It won’t end on any continent or ocean, no mountain or plain, jungle or desert. It will end where it began, where it had been from the beginning, on the battlefield of the last beating human heart.

Master storyteller Rick Yancey invokes triumph, loss, and unrelenting action as the fate of the planet is decided in the conclusion to this epic series.
MY REVIEW:
I've been putting off reading this. Had it in my possession for quite some time. It's the dread of the series ender. Anticipation to see how everything ends but dread over whether you'll be satisfied with the ending and the sadness that the story has ended. Then I started it and being fast paced I was blowing through it, wanting more, needing more. And then dang it, my feelings took a nose dive once I got to the last 10% of the book. For my fellow readers who are also fans of the Divergent series, if you share any of my less-than-happy feelings regarding how that series ended....well then my friends, prepare yourself.

This installment in the series picks up with Ben, Dumbo, Cassie, Sam, Meghan, and Evan holed up still in the dead silencer's house. Ben devises a plan to go in search of Ringer and Teacup who have been gone for 4 months and heads off with Dumbo. Though he likely knows they are dead, he can't let them go. Separating always seems to be a very bad idea for this group. There's a whole lot of things, big things, that happen to the group throughout the course of the story. Too much that would be spoilerish, so I'm going to refrain from talking about any of the plots. The bottom line is that the group is facing annihilation from the aliens and the humans who are trained to be the 5th Wave, so the entire book is about them fighting to stay alive and to find a way to win the battle of humanity.

The mature language content in this book seems higher than what I remembered from books one and two. That could just be my poor memory, but regardless of that, there's a ton of F bombs in this story, among a lot of other "colorful" words. This was a bit bothersome because these characters are aged anywhere from 5 to 20. The younger kids using this language just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Another irritation I had is that Cassie's inner dialogue, which we read as she writes in her journal, seems way less mature than it did in the previous two books. It was like she regressed mentally as she spews immature phrases and thoughts into her journal.

Sigh....I really don't have much to say. I'm not overly thrilled with the way the series ended. In fact, I'm quite distraught over it. I feel a sense of restlessness, like more things are left in the air than what I prefer to see. I just have a giant feeling of "ugh". That makes me so sad because I was a HUGE fan of book one. Unfortunately my love of the series went down from there.

There were parts that were really touching, parts that made me smile a bit and I'm glad I read the series. I just wish the ending would have been different. But I admit, I'm a "happily-ever-after" kind of girl.

Top 5 Favorite Quotes:
"Without trust there's no cooperation. And without cooperation there's no progress. History stops."

...you never lose those who love you, because love is a constant; love endures.

"You don't run from the people who need you. You fight for them. You fight beside them. No matter the cost. No matter the risk."

Love is forever. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be love. The world is beautiful. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be the world.

Pain is necessary. Pain is life. Without pain, there can be no joy.

Language: 2-3 (medium-high)
Mature Content: 1 (light)
Final Rating: 3.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...