Thursday, September 8, 2016

*ARC* The Other Side of Gravity - Review

The Other Side of Gravity (Oxygen #1)

By: Shelly Crane

Published: March 15, 2016 by Kiss Me Publications, LLC

 262 pages

Source: Netgalley ARC from publisher

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
My name is Maxton and I’m a trader. 

I live on a soulless planet where gravity, oxygen, and everything else are sold to the highest bidder on the black market. People are sold on the black market, too. You have to work really hard not to become one of those people. Pay your taxes, keep your friends and family close, and more than anything else—don’t get caught by the Militia. But all the rules changed for me the day I found her. 

My name is Sophelia and I’m a stowaway. 

I’ve been a slave for almost as long as I can remember. Waiting for the one day, one second, for my proprietor to turn his head so I could run and never look back. Now I'm on the run. And on a planet where no one is on your side and people would turn you in for a good meal or a piece of a silver, being on the run on Landu is the last place you want to be. Until he found me. 

I won't survive without him. 

I can't breathe without her.
MY REVIEW:
Told between alternating POV's of Maxton and Sophelia, this is a story of mankind who centuries ago (700 years to be exact) destroyed Earth to the point of needing a new planet to survive on. Landu is a planet behind the sun, on the warmest side, thousands of miles away from it, opposite of Earth, and far from easy detection. That's where our characters live. Some similarities to Earth, but a lot that isn't. For instance, they have to swallow oxygen pills in order to breath, and they have to wear special boots to maintain gravity and take pills as well. The rain is red, and the ocean water is red too. The planet is ruled harshly and the only wealthy people are the ones in government. The vast majority of people are heavily oppressed.

Sophelia and her mother are barely getting by and it gets to a point where her mother knows she won't be able to pay their taxes anymore, so she sacrifices herself for her daughter. For 10 years after Sophelia is a slave, but she never looses her spunky spirit and has a plan to escape. Maxton is a black market trader and is working for a nasty man on a ship that Sophelia tries to hide on to escape.

I loved the connection between Maxton and Sophelia! Their banter back and forth early on and later their spark. This book isn't all romance, but it definitely plays a part in the story, which I loved! I enjoy sci/fi books WITH romance in the story line.

There were a couple minor irritations. I thought back to my grammar lessons (and my kids going through it now too in middle and high school) when writing and using lots of descriptive words. I understand the importance of painting a picture in the reader's mind and in order to do this, descriptive words, adjectives, are necessary. But I do think there's such a thing as too many. Specifically during Maxton's POV I found him to use too many adjectives. Once or twice wouldn't have really bugged me, but it kept on being a trend and that annoyed me.

There was definitely a solid enough foundation to make me come back to book 2. Fans of YA sci/fi will enjoy!

Favorite Quotes:
"As for you being a plague? if that's so, then please, infect me. Because I want everything you've got to give me."

"I've gotta give it to you for effort, but the key is to come up with a new lineup. You can't have the same plays for every game or your opponent knows what's coming next."

"Because your soul, on this soulless planet, sticks out like one star in a starless sky. And it's beautiful."

"Don't ever regret as you look back. And always tell the truth because you can't ever run faster than a lie."

"Give me the breath in your lungs, all the steps you took to get here, the only heart you've got, your very soul. I want all there is..."

Language Rating: 1 (low)
Mature Content Rating: 1 (low)
Final Rating: 3.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...