Monday, February 6, 2017

A Thousand Boy Kisses - Review

A Thousand Boy Kisses

By: Tille Cole

Published: March 13, 2016 by Tillie Cole Ltd.

353 pages

Source: Borrowed from a fellow CoHort, RichelleR

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
One kiss lasts a moment.
But a thousand kisses can last a lifetime.

One boy.
One girl.
A bond that is forged in an instant and cherished for a decade.
A bond that neither time nor distance can break.
A bond that will last forever.
Or so they believe.

When seventeen-year-old Rune Kristiansen returns from his native Norway to the sleepy town of Blossom Grove, Georgia, where he befriended Poppy Litchfield as a child, he has just one thing on his mind. Why did the girl who was one half of his soul, who promised to wait faithfully for his return, cut him off without a word of explanation?

Rune’s heart was broken two years ago when Poppy fell silent. When he discovers the truth, he finds that the greatest heartache is yet to come. 

Standalone Young Adult Tearjerker Romance. 
For ages 14 and up.
MY REVIEW:
During a Fan Friday giveaway on the CoHorts FB group I was loaned this book (thanks to RichelleR). Not knowing much going in to it, other than TONS of fellow CoHorts talking about it and requesting it often, I knew this was one I needed to read. And man, it rivaled my emotions over The Fault in Our Stars!! Oh the tears!!! It ripped my heart out but yet left me with such a smile at the end.

This book has ALL the feels! It had me swooning, gushing, smiling, excited, fearful, hopeful, emotionally drained, and lots of tears! Even though by 3% in I was already teary eyed, and I was misty eyed through much of the book and full blown crying by the end, I'm so happy to have read this story. This love story was precious. It was innocent as it starts out with a promise between two 5 year old friends, Rune from Norway and Poppy from Georgia, to be "best friends forever and always". Childhood friends that grow into a deep love is a book theme weakness of mine. It gets me every single time. It's probably one of my top favorite romance themes in books.

I was highlighting whole sections at a time. Forget just short quotes! I'm not even sure how I'll narrow it down to my top 5 favorite quotes...but trust me when I say this book is full of emotional lines and touching moments.

I'm going to stay vague on purpose. Partly because the Goodreads summary is vague and partly because this is one of those stories that just has to be experienced by the reader versus by spoilers.

What you need to know:
Rune and Poppy first meet, when at the age of 5, Rune's family moves next door to Poppy's family. Rune is angry, doesn't want to speak English and doesn't want to be living there in America. While pouting, he sees a little girl climb out of her window and head straight over to him. Wearing a dress but covered in mud he finds her intriguing. Right then and there upon their first meeting, they agree to be best friends and to go on adventure's together. Over the next 10 years they are inseparable. Their bond is stronger than most adults who vow to love one another forever. They have an intense and all consuming relationship. Something that is so rare, and even rarer among children and teenagers. When they are 15, Rune's family is sent back to Norway for his Dad's job and shortly after, he loses all communication with Poppy with no explanation. Letters stop. Phone calls go unanswered. Rune is crushed and his heart is destroyed. When he returns two years later, at age 17, they have both matured, both in their bodies, but also their character. Rune is more angry than ever before. His bitterness and hatred boils under the surface at all times. He's turned to drinking and cigarettes to take the edge off of the feelings he used to have for Poppy and he's closed himself off from his family. From this point on in the story, have your tissues within easy reach! This is a love story that rivals that of great loves like Romeo and Juliet, Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, Edward and Bella. Whoever your favorite love story's belong to...this one needs to be added to your list! Poppy and Rune forever always.

At the very end is a note from the author with a playlist that helped her write the story. Give it a listen afterwards. It's pretty perfect!

In one word, this story was beautiful! I'm new to Tillie Cole but I will definitely be reading more from her. Fans of YA romance and emotional stories, this is one 5 star book you need in your life! Though this was loaned to me, I'm purchasing it for myself. This will be a reread for me for sure!

Top 5 (okay I cheated, and added an extra) Favorite Quotes:
"When you find the boy that will be your forever always, every time you get an extra-special kiss from him, take out a heart. Write down where you were when you were kissed. ... You'll have a treasure-jar of all the precious kisses that made your heart soar."

"I'll give you a thousand kisses, Poppymin. All of them. No one will kiss you ever, but me."

"It's okay to smile. It's okay to feel happy. Or what's the point in life?"

"Why don't we look at the person we love the most like it's the last time we will ever see them? Because if we did, life would be so vibrant. Life would be so truly and completely lived."

"When I look at you, when you touch me, when I see your face...when we kiss, my heart plays a song. It sings that it needs you like I need air. It sings to me that I adore you. It sings that I've found its perfect missing part."

Live hard, love harder. Chase dreams, seek adventures...capture moments. Live beautifully.

Language: 1 - 2 
Mature Content: 1 - 2
Final Rating: 5 stars!

1 comments:

  1. This book sounds absolutely amazing, I can't believe I've never heard of it before now! Wonderful review :D Thank you for bringing this book to my attention :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...