Monday, November 21, 2016

Elude (Eagle Elite #6) - Review

Elude (Eagle Elite #6)

By: Rachel Van Dyken

Published: July 9, 2015

341 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
This book is the sixth book in the internationally bestselling Eagle Elite Series. It's an interconnected stand alone novel with no cliffhanger.

Twenty-Four hours before we were to be married--I offered to shoot her.
Ten hours before our wedding--I made a mockery of her dying wish.
Five hours before we were going to say our vows--I promised I'd never love her.
One hour before I said I do--I vowed I'd never shed a tear over her death.
But the minute we were pronounced man and wife--I knew.

I'd only use my gun to protect her.
I'd give my life for hers.
I'd cry.
And I would, most definitely, lose myself, to a dying girl---a girl who by all accounts should have never been mine in the first place.

I always believed the mafia would be my end game--poisoning my heart, while it claimed my soul. I could have never imagined. It would be my redemption.

Or the beginning of something beautiful.

The beginning of her.

The end of us.
MY REVIEW:
Good. Grief! This book ya'll - it brought out the tears in a BIG way! I've been a fan of this series from the beginning. From book one it drew me in and kept me wanting more every single time. It's not uncommon for these books to make me teary eyed, because each one usually has an emotional aspect to it. But this book - Sergio's story, was heart breaking. It definitely caused all the feels for me in a personal way.

I've viewed Sergio as sort of the outcast of the group for a while now, but especially after some revelations in book five. By the other mob bosses he's forced to marry someone he barely knows and doesn't really like, partially to prove he is still loyal to the five families - for which he, himself, is an Abandanato, cousin to mob boss Nixon. For starters, the girl he's being forced to marry is a Russian mafia princess. That alone makes her his enemy. Secondly, she's dying of cancer and doesn't have much time left, months if she's lucky. Building a wall around his heart has never been an issue before. His "job" requires him to be like stone where his emotions are concerned. But Andi brings out more feelings from him than he was willing to give her.

Speaking of Andi, I really enjoyed her high energy, spirited personality and just overall love of life. This girl has serious joy that naturally spreads to those around her. Elude is told in alternating POV's between Andi and Sergio.

I love the mafia storyline. I love the romance. I love the Eagle Elite guys (Nixon, Chase, Tex, Phoenix and now Sergio) and the women who love them. I love the loyalty to family. This story though, it proves that not every one has a "happily-ever-after", and sometimes, you have to just enjoy the moments you are given. Have a tissue handy when proceeding with this one!

Two words: Mafia Romance. Check out my earlier reviews:

Book one: Elite (5 stars) - Nixon's story
Book two: Elect (4.5 stars) - Chase's story
Book three: Entice (4 stars) - continuation of Chase and Nixon's stories
Book four: Elicit (4.5 stars) - Tex's story
Book five: Ember (4 stars) - Phoenix's story

Goodreads says this is a "standalone with no cliffhanger". I would highly recommend these books be read in order though as the characters and names that come up would not make much sense to the reader who just randomly picked up book 6. Plus, the adoration for these guys and everything they've been through wouldn't be there without first seeing how it all began.

Top 5 Favorite Quotes:
A husband always protects his wife, regardless of his feelings. Once you're married,  you're blood. You share something precious, something eternal.

"Forgiveness is never given in order to make peace with the offender. It's given to make peace with yourself."

"...sometimes our choices aren't just about us - but the people that love us, the people that have to stand by and watch us suffer."

"Regardless of the journey, of how hard it was, of how hard it is or how short - the time - we still had it - and that, my friend, is a beautiful ending."

And that's how life is measured - not by the length, but by the strength of those moments spent together.

Language: 2 (medium)
Mature Content: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...