Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA: Day 2 Part 2: Genre Fiction

Day 2, Part 2: Genre Fiction

"Sci-fi, fantasy, horror, mystery, romance, and more -- is genre fiction your thing?"

At first glance of this subject topic for today I immediately thought "well that's everything I read!".  I'll admit I'm pretty much a genre virgin.  I'm usually not so sure where books fall into what genre and sometimes it seems they can fall into multiple genres or genres will be combined like "post apocalyptic dystopian".  What I might list as horror, you might view as post-apocalyptic with zombie tendencies.  Or what I might list as a genre someone else might argue that it's a sub-genre, such as dystopian being a sub-genre of Sci-fi.  Sure, some genres are more obvious than others, but overall this whole subject just straight up confuses me.  Google is always my friend...

Are you thoroughly confused?  
Let me try (and I do stress try) to list a few books I like in some of these genres. 
I have a very broad range of taste when it comes to books.

Horror Favorites:
I don't usually read horror, but when I do it's zombie horror only, because I become afraid of the dark with ghosts or old-school vampires (think Stephen King's Salem's Lot) and that's not cool.  Ha!  
Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo, Deadlocked series by A.R.Wise

Fantasy Favorites: 
Hello?!? Harry Potter of course!, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin


Post-Apocalyptic or Dystopian Favorites:

Supernatural/Paranormal Favorites:


Mystery/Thriller Favorite:
  Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Sci-fi Favorites: 
  
Contemporary Romance Favorites:


What genres do you prefer and what are some of your favorite books in each genre?
Leave me a link to your Genre Fiction post!

9 comments:

  1. I love your picks! Fantasy, Dystopian, Paranormal: these all made it to my list of favorite genres as well. I'm slowly starting to read more sci-fi. I'm not such a fan of contemporary, but I'm trying to read more of these books after falling in love with The fault in our stars.

    Development + Fiction - Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the whole thing sort of like labelling people and how by labelling someone you take away from thier overall character? Who cares what the genre is? Is it a good book? Yes! Than I will read it. Done.
    Though I will say - you have some good books featured today : )

    CeCe @ Steaming Mug of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good picks!! I'm hearing great things about 5th Wave, think I'll need to pick that one up. Happy to see anther Cambion fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your list and we match quite a bit! You should check out the shatter me series

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing - How on earth can we pinpoint certain books in "fiction" because "fiction" encompasses so much. But I do love your selection :) I've only read Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, and The Hunger Games though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's part of the beauty of it all - we see the same book through different lenses, and it's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love so many of the books you listed! HP, ASOIAF, Divergent, The 5th Wave, the TMI series and THG are all books I enjoyed!

    my armchair BEA post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice with Deadlocked. I've read the first two in the series and need to get onto the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of dystopian but I have yet to read The 5th Wave.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...