Thursday, November 19, 2015

*ARC* Stepping Stones - Review

Stepping Stones (The Stone Series Book 1)

By: Kacey Vanderkarr

Published: August 25, 2015 by Urban Fey Press

269 pages

Source: Netgalley ARC from publisher

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
Onnaleigh Moore is part of a plan—and it isn’t hers. When her brother dies in a car accident, Onna is desperate to preserve the tatters of her family. Any hope of finding normalcy vanishes when her mother runs off and her dad turns to booze to numb his pain. Onna’s grief is crippling, but the boy who showed up just when she needed him is helping her cope. 

Everett’s presence is comforting, though he knows things—Onna’s name just before they met, where she lives, and sometimes he comments on thoughts she doesn’t say aloud. She pegs him for a stalker, or maybe psychic, but the truth is deadlier than she imagines. As their feelings for one another deepen, Everett confesses a horrifying secret: Onna’s brother is only the beginning of the plan, and some fates are worse than death.
MY REVIEW:
I really loved the idea of this book. It was original (to me) by using beings that are not angels, known as the Guides, Comforters and Healers. It was a different take than I was traditionally familiar with. And I liked that. It's hard to find new ideas for characters in books. Typically, we see the same type of things being written about with new (or similar) twists. But the concept of this, for me, was not one I had read of before. I loved Everett and his connection with Onna and I definitely want to see where the next book goes.

The cover doesn't really match up with the description. On one hand you think oh, contemporary romance with the cover, but there is a paranormal theme to this story.

The story follows Onna who is an 18 year old girl, a senior in high school, whose world comes crashing down around her, in what would appear to be a serious of seriously unfortunate events, beginning with the death of her brother. In the midst of her grief, a very handsome Italian boy shows up knowing things he shouldn't know.

I read through this fairly quickly so don't misunderstand about my feelings on it. But this is one of those books I don't have a ton to say about it. I wasn't blown away by anything. It didn't touch any deep emotional spots for me. But it was enjoyable.

I have a pet peeve that occurred in this book that I need to vent about. It's one that happens fairly regular in stories. And it annoys me to no end! I get very irritated with characters, typically this is seen in the females, where they know something is going on with their love interest and they make a declaration like this: "I'll keep an open mind and listen to everything they have to say, especially when I know they have secrets they are wanting to finally open up about." And then a couple pages later this reaction occurs: "I can't believe you kept that from me! How dare you! I never want to speak to you or see you again!" UGH - I'm weary of this reaction. Either don't make promises you won't keep, think before you speak, or really follow through and keep an open mind before making hasty decisions! This type of behavior is beyond annoying to me!

If you're a fan of books with a forbidden romantic interest and paranormal beings then give it a read!

Favorite Quotes:
"The opposite of love is indifference, and I refuse to be indifferent."

"Sometimes," Everett whispered, "it's about the journey, not the destination."

Loving someone is about seeing all their flaws and accepting them. It doesn't mean that lying is ever okay; it just means that you're a big enough person to realize that we all make mistakes. The road to happiness isn't paved with golden bricks. It's broken and dangerous and impossible.

"I love you enough to chase you across the universe. I love you enough to fight."

Language Rating: 1.5 (light to medium)
Mature Content Rating: 1 (light)
Final Rating: 3.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...