Monday, March 14, 2016

The Blood Scion - Review

The Blood Scion (The Scion Legacy #1)

By: Nazarea Andrews

Published: November 21, 2015 by A&A Literary

186 pages

Source: Personal Kindle library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
I was just a reporter, trying to stay ahead of my student loans. I knew the rules, and I followed them. 

I thought I knew how the world worked—humans lived their petty little lives in the safety of the sun. We loved and fought and—when the sun sank—we scurried behind our walls and lived in fear. That is when the monsters came out to play. 

And even in the safety of the sun, we knew who ruled us. 
The Houses. And their Scions. 
Everyone knows the great Houses and their Scions—they are feared and loved and hated and envied. They are the gods who walk the shadows and rule all of our lives. They are salvation and death. 
And somehow, I am one of them.
MY REVIEW:
There are 12 vampire houses which are the 12 vampire lines, each house with a patriarch and then a hierarchy of other vampires. Each house may include blood princes and/or princesses, blood knights, a blade, and a scion - the scion is a human that speaks on behalf of the house.

The story opens with Farley, a human reporter who works for a small epaper. She covers the ongoing news with the vampire houses and the HRO who are terrorists against them. She is sent to a lunch meeting and upon her arrival she quickly realizes she's been set up to meet with a Vampire Prince and who she assumes to be a vampire knight, house unknown to her at the time of the meeting. They request for her to accompany them to their house to speak with their patriarch and give her 24 hours to decide. But the request is vague and they are not forthcoming with details. She assumes incorrectly what their motive is. So she flees to get advice from her brother. There's only one problem with humans fleeing from vampires. Especially a human they are showing extreme interest in. They tend to follow.

There are details of Farley's life that she is made aware of over time which changes everything she thought she knew, and despite her initial hatred of vampires, she begins to soften to some of them and even grows to trust a couple.

An irritation of mine is for any book with a publisher, which has been released for purchase or is free, to have so many grammatical errors. There were a lot of incorrect words used or words misspelled. Unfortunately I have noticed this to be a trend of this author's books.

I also found it hard at times throughout the story to determine who was speaking. There didn't seem to be a clear distinction of who the dialogue was coming from. Fair warning to readers, there is a lot of "f bombs" to the point of overuse IMO. I do find it irritating to have so many in dialogue. It takes the punch out of any phrase when it's thrown around so much.

I do have some questions that didn't seem to be fleshed out enough in the details of the story. For one, why does the Scion hold so much power over the vampire house? It's a position that has always been held by a human....and humans can be wiped out without a second thought. Seems like there is some more explanation that could be beneficial to the reader to help understand this important role.

Octavian and Farley...yeah, that'll have me coming back for book two, The Scion's Blade.

Check out my review of the prequel, The Scionless House.

Favorite Quotes:
"Because you were on the other side of it. I would walk through hell for you."

I trust people who've lost something. It means they know what things cost. They can't look at the world the same after that. They don't wear blinders, because those were ripped away when their world shattered.

"I want you too much for these games."

"Because I can't be with you, if I can't be with you," I whisper.

"But don't for one ** second think I'm giving up. You're mine, and before I'm done, the whole world will know it."

Language: 3 (high)
Mature Content: 3 (high)
Final Rating: 3.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...